Amazing Apple Crumb Coffee Cake – Gluten Free
Fall is a wonderful season to enjoy coffee cake. With apples in harvest, I created this delicious recipe for Gluten Free Apple Crumb Coffee Cake. However, anytime of year you can enjoy this delicious cake! My favorite part of this coffee cake is that you get to enjoy the delicious combination of apple cake on the bottom half and the yummy goodness of the apple crumb baked into the top part, and yes of course, apple in every bite. Yum!!! The recipe makes two 9 inch cakes, so make one for your family and share the other one with friends or neighbors.
A lot of people wonder what apple to use when baking cakes or pies. A good rule of thumb is it to choose a crisp apple followed by your preference of sweet or tart flavor. Here are a few suggestions for apples that will be crisp and hold up well in baking. Feel free to choose 2 varieties to mix it up if you like, too. I made my cake with a Gala and Granny Smith combination and it was fabulous!
Slightly sweet to sweet: Gala, Fuji, Jonathon , Golden Delicious, Jonagold
Tart: Granny Smith, Criterion, Winesap, Cortland
Sweet/Tart Combo: Johnny Gold, Pink Lady, York Imperial, Honey Crisp
**Not recommended for baking: Macintosh and Red Delicious
Amazing Apple Crumb Coffee Cake ~ Gluten Free
Author: Rachel Carlyle Edington - Gluten Free Mama
Recipe type: Cake & Cupcakes
Serves: 2 9 inch cakes
- Crumb Filling/Topping Ingredients
- 4-5 large apples, peeled and diced
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine, soft or partially melted
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (Mama prefers pecans)
- ½ cup Mama's Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- 1 cuplight brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- Cake Batter Ingredients
- 2 cups Mama's Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine, room temp.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk or dairy free milk
- Peel dice apples. Place in large bowl. Take about ¼-1/3 of them out and set aside for the cake batter. In the large bowl add all together the butter, oats, nuts, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Toss mixture together until well combined and resembles pea size crumbs. Don't be afraid to get your hands in there and toss it real well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch cake pans. (Square or Round)
- In a small bowl combine flour, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Mix well. In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl. With mixer on low speed alternate adding flour and milk until all combined. Mix for about 30 seconds to combine well. Fold in apples that were set aside.
- Evenly spread half the batter into each pan. Sprinkle half of the apple crumb mixture evenly onto the top of each cake pans batter. Gently press the crumb mixture into the batter about ¼-1/2 inch, being careful not to cover the apple crumb mixture too much with the batter. The trick is to allow the cake batter to bake into the crumb mixture so that the bottom half is cake and top half is cake and apple crumb goodness. If you prefer a crumb cake, don't press the crumb mixture into the batter, just sprinkle across the top.
- Bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes or until the cake bounces back when touched. You can also check the center with a toothpick to be sure. Cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from cake pan.
To purchase Gluten Free Mama Flours, Click Here.