Gluten Free Mama’s delicious Banana Applesauce Streusel Muffins make for a delicious light breakfast or mid-morning snack. The banana and applesauce are a natural sweetener to these muffins and the streusel topping will delight the taste buds. I made a batch up and between my children, all teenagers and their friends, they were enjoyed all on the same day! So today, I made another batch with my leftover bananas. The kids will be excited when they get home from school.
These are perfect to make when you have 2 or 3 ripe bananas that need to be used up. The riper the better. I also sneak nutrition into these muffins with a couple of teaspoons of chia seeds. They hide well in baked goods like muffins and so picky eaters will not know they are in there and it’s a great way to add some omega 3’s to your diet.
The streusel topping is made with gluten free oats. For more information on gluten free oats, click here. Oats are perfectly safe for those living gluten free as long as they are certified gluten free. There are only a few companies that sell gluten free oats. My favorite is Gluten Free Prairie, another fantastic gluten free company right here in Montana. You can order them here.
You can make this dairy free using a dairy free margarine like Spectrum Buttery Sticks or Nuceo Butter. You can see a list of dairy free options here. If you are egg free, use 1 flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix together 1/4 cup water with 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed. Simmer until thickened. The batter will be slightly thick, but still easily able to run your rubber scraper through. It will be slightly thicker than a cake batter. There is just enough streusel topping to cover each of the 12 muffins. No need for waste of good gluten free oats! When making the streusel topping allow the butter to be at room temperature, or slightly melt it in microwave. I hope that you enjoy these delicious muffins!
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine
- 2 large bananas (About 1 cup mashed)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ cups Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
- Streusel Topping
- ¾ cup Gluten Free Prairie Oatmeal, 3 Pound" target="_blank">gluten free oats
- ⅓ cup Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. butter or dairy free margarine, partially melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place paper liners in muffin pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and chia seeds. Mix and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter with mashed banana and applesauce. Add vanilla, sugar and egg. Mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- With mixer running on low speed, slowly add flour mixture until all of the flour is mixed in. Mix well for about 30 seconds.
- Using a 2 inch scoop, fill muffin liners with batter.
- Mix together streusel topping. Place an equal amount of topping over each of the muffins, spreading it evenly over the entire muffin.
- Place on center rack in oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes. When muffins are done, the tops should bounce back when touched.
To make this recipe easier, Mama recommends…
We love to hear from our viewers! If you like our posts or have questions please comment below. We also love it when you share the love on Facebook and Pinterest!