Mama’s Gluten Free Muffin Frittatas make eating a healthy breakfast much easier! These are super easy to make and a great solution to easy on the go breakfasts for your work week, for kids before school, or for those who are sick and find it hard to prepare breakfast everyday. Make a batch on Sunday’s and eat a delicious healthy breakfast for the next 5-6 days.
Why didn’t I think of this earlier? I have no idea! I have been extremely sick for about 5 months ago, well the last 5 years if we want to be honest, however, a few months ago, I had been in one of my worst rough patches I have had since before my brain surgery. I spent several days in the ICU at a rehab facility to try to get my MS issues under control and came home very weak, unable to walk and really unable to prepare meals for myself.
My mother in law and I put our minds to work and thought lets make these frittata’s I make everyday in muffin size and then my kids can easily microwave them and bring them to me in bed. Perfect! It was a perfect meal for me.
Then I thought, these are not only great for people with illnesses like mine, but perfect for kids to eat before school for a quick breakfast and for adults to make for easy breakfasts before work. As we all know, breakfast is an important start to our day. They are also great to take for a tasty lunch at work. Just grab 2 frozen egg muffins and put them in an airtight container. By lunch they will be thawed and you can warm them in the microwave for 1 min 30 sec.
There are two ways you can make these. You can make them with muffin papers and then just eat them like you would a cupcake or muffin. Or you can use the silicone baking muffin tins and they will pop right out and then you don’t have the hassle of peeling a wrapper off. Either way you still end up with a delicious veggie frittata. Place two in single ziploc baggies and either put them in the fridge or freezer. For heating out of freezer, defrost for 1 minute then heat on normal setting for 1 minute 40 seconds or until heated through. Out of the fridge, microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. Now enough talking lets get to the recipe!!!
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning or mixture or 2 tsp. basil,optional
- ¾ cup Italian cheese, shredded or cheese of choice
- 1 small zucchini, diced small
- ¼ cup onion, diced small
- 2 Tbsp. butter, olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, slice with green tops
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 handful spinach, shredded with stems removed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Fill muffin liners in muffin tin or lightly spray silicone baking cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs with cream, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix well. Fold in cheese.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté zucchini and onion in butter, olive oil or coconut oil until tender and soft. Add tomato, green onions, minced garlic and spinach. Sauté over medium low heat for about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Pour egg mixture over the veggie mixture. With silicone scraper quickly mix egg mixture evenly with veggies.
- Using a 2 inch scoop, fill muffin tin or liners with egg mixture, distributing batter evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove from muffin tin.
- Cool completely then store 2 frittata’s to small Ziploc bags. Freeze or put in refrigerator.
- Pull a bag out of refrigerator and heat in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. If frozen, defrost for 1 minute. Then heat for 1 minute 40 seconds or until heated through.
Variation: You can make these with any fillings you like. Try adding some crispy bacon or ham pieces.
We love to hear from our followers. Do you enjoy this recipe? Do you have a question? Leave a comment below. And we love it when you share the love and share our recipes on FB, Twitter and Pinterest. Thank you and enjoy!